The Manor of Burton is mentioned in the Domesday Book, the spelling being Beuretune, and is stated to be worth 2 hydes. It is probable the name Burton is of Saxon origin, being derived from the Saxon words Burh+ton, meaning fortified dwelling place.
The surviving rolls of the Manor began in the reign of Edward III, 1331, and it was here that Henry, Prince of Wales (later Henry V), stationed his troops to watch the movements of Owen Glendower.
The most notable of the squires of Eardisland and Lords of the Manor of Burton were the Brewster and the Clowes families.
The Brewsters first appear in the middle of the 17th Century and remained in continuous occupation until 1865. Dr William Brewster was baptized at St Mary's Eardisland in 1665. He was an eminent scholar of his time and when he died in 1715 he left some of his magificent collection of books to All Saints Church, Hereford, where they formed the famous chained library; now housed in Hereford Cathedral.